Are you worried about the possibility of tooth decay for your children or even yourself? Well, look no further than Cresskill Dental in Cresskill, NJ! At Cresskill Dental, we offer many options to help children and adults alike with their dental hygiene needs. At Cresskill Dental in Cresskill, NJ, we provide dental sealants, a preventive dental solution for children and, in some cases, adults. Our office, which offers services in Japanese, Korean, and English, is devoted to giving you the best dental care.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a preventive procedure. Molars and premolars tend to have deep depressions, and even with good hygiene practices, these deep depressions can make it difficult to clean those specific teeth thoroughly. Dental sealants are an option for those with deep recesses in their molars and premolars who want to prevent tooth decay. The sealants are a thin plastic that coats the chewing surfaces of teeth. The sealant bonds to the depressions of your teeth and form a protective surface over each tooth.
When are Dental Sealants Suggested?
Dental sealants are advised as early as six years of age. The justification is that as kids’ teeth erupt, getting them dental sealants once they erupt their molars is a good idea. However, we can apply dental sealants without tooth decay or fillings to anyone of any age.
What are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
- Cavity Protection: As a preventive cavity protection procedure, dental sealants are designed to help protect your teeth from cavities and decay.
- Effective: The procedure takes only a few minutes per tooth, and then after, your teeth are protected for up to three years with a 75% risk reduction towards cavities.
- Painless: Worried about the possibility of pain? Well, never fear because dental sealants are entirely pain-free! No poking, prodding, or drilling during this procedure makes it quick and painless.
- Long-Lasting: Getting sealants in early childhood sets your child up for success as they grow and go through the cavity-prone years. Sealants, with proper oral hygiene care, are meant to last for years with the occasional touch-up in the dental office.
- Deep Groove Reduction: Eating foods that are hard can, over time, begin to deepen your molars and premolars, where the grooves will deepen and even possibly crack. With dental sealants, Cresskill Dental can help you prevent this from occurring and help keep your teeth healthy.
The Process of Getting Dental Sealants
Dental sealants are applied using a straightforward procedure. Before the sealant material is applied, the teeth are cleaned and prepared. A solution with a strength similar to vinegar is used to clean teeth. To help the sealant material with proper bonding to the tooth, this slightly roughens the surface of each tooth. The thin acrylic sealant is then placed on the tooth or teeth after the tooth has been cleaned and prepared. The sealant material can fill in grooves or depressions on teeth by flowing into them. The tooth will become sealed and protected from bacteria accumulating in the pits and grooves after hardening it for 1-2 minutes.
Dental Sealants at Cresskill Dental in Cresskill, NJ
We are devoted to you and your child’s dental care at Cresskill Dental. While dental sealants will not replace proper oral hygiene care, it is a great tool to help prevent cavities and tooth decay in children. Dr. Joo Hyun Lee and staff are adamant about helping those of all ages with their dental needs here at Cresskill Dental!
Schedule an appointment with Cresskill Dental today, and during the exam, your dentist will let you know if you or your child could benefit from dental sealants!