Emergency Dentistry in Cresskill, New Jersey
A dental emergency can happen anytime, from playing sports to a car accident. Dental emergencies in New Jersey should be treated with emergency dentistry from Cresskill Dental. We treat all types of emergency dentistry, from broken crowns to missing teeth. Keep reading to learn more about the emergency dentistry we treat and how we can help restore your smile.
When do I Need Emergency Dentistry?
Several events can call for emergency dentistry. One of the most common events that call for emergency dentistry is a sports accident. Contact sports can cause teeth to crack, break, or fall out. Another situation is a car accident, which can cause the same results. Many patients can lose or break a tooth with an everyday task such as eating.
What are Examples of Dental Emergencies?
Dental Emergencies can happen in several ways. There are several different types of dental emergencies. Below are the most common dental emergencies.
- Broken Dental Appliance. Whether you have a crown, dental bridge, or implant, a broken dental appliance could be a dental emergency. If your dental appliance breaks, save the apparatus and bring it to our dental office during your emergency dental appointment. Often, we will restore your smile with a new dental appliance, but it is helpful to bring in the old device case we can use it.
- Broken Tooth. Like the broken dental appliance, bring the broken piece of your tooth to your emergency dentistry appointment. Right after the tooth breaks, you may experience pain if the tooth’s nerves are exposed. Call our emergency dental office first, and Dr. Lee may recommend taking over-the-counter pain medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Knocked-out Tooth. If your tooth falls out, the first thing to do is avoid panicking. Next, try to find your knocked-out tooth. Avoid wiping it off if you can find it because this could damage the essential tooth structures. Place the tooth back in its original position and hold it there until your emergency dental appointment. If the tooth does not fit in the socket, place it in a small bag or jar of milk. If you cannot find your tooth, do not worry. Call our office for an emergency dentistry appointment in Cresskill, New Jersey.
How can my Tooth be Restored After a Dental Emergency?
At Cresskill Dental, Dr. Lee and her team have several ways to restore broken or missing teeth. Our first goal is to attach your broken or missing tooth to its natural structures. If that is not possible, we use restorative dentistry to make your tooth appear and function as natural. Below are a few restorative dentistry options we offer.
- Dental Bonding. If you have a chipped or cracked tooth, dental bonding may be the restorative dentistry option for you. In this option, Dr. Lee places composite resin, an acrylic resin, on the tooth and forms a new piece of the tooth. The resin is cured with a blue lamp. The composite resin is the perfect material because it is strong and matches your natural tooth’s color.
- Dental Crown. If you are missing a large piece of the chewing surface of your tooth, Dr. Lee may recommend a dental crown. A dental crown is ideal because it acts as a cap over the natural tooth.
- Dental Implant. If you are missing your entire tooth or a significant portion of it, Dr. Lee may recommend removing it with extraction and replacing it with a dental implant. A dental implant replaces the entire tooth from the tooth’s root to the crown. This restorative option is excellent for single or multiple tooth replacements.
A dental emergency can be a scary time, but our team at Cresskill Dental is here to help you through the process. We offer restorative dentistry service for broken dental appliances, chipped or cracked teeth, and knocked-out teeth. Call our office today for more information about emergency dentistry in Cresskill, New Jersey, or to schedule an appointment.